How to detangle natural hair. There comes a time in every natural’s hair journey when the hair on your head turns into a bird’s nest, and if this time has not come for you, it will :D. If you’re having highly tangled matted hair, or just doomsday’s prepping for the bird’s nest, then you are in the right place. This is the fastest way to detangle your hair.
What you’ll need: Spray bottle with water, ouchless hair ties, oil and a wide tooth comb (optional).
- Gently section hair into 4 to 6 large parts, and bind each with a hair tie.
- Take down one section at a time, further divide this section into manageable sub-sections, put the rest of the hair out of the way.
- Now apply oil of your choice and work it in for some extra slip. Next spritz a little bit of water and work it in as well. The goal is to make your hair slightly damp and malleable, not wet. If hair is highly matted, gently finger detangle each section before the spritz. You may use a detangling conditioner at this point, if you wish.
- Once your hair is soft, gently comb through it with a wide tooth comb starting from your ends and work your way up.
- Twist detangled sub-section and move on to the next section.
I de-tangle my best friend’s highly matted hair
When hair is highly matted and dry, this is one indication that you’re up for a wash and a conditioning treatment. De-tangling is a good precursor to your wash day.